Learning how to write effective blog content is easier than you might think
We have already established that writing a blog for your business is worth the effort because a blog can help to create all kinds of opportunities as you build and expose your brand. You’ll grab the attention of potential customers by offering solutions, tips and tidbits. You’ll gain trust by sharing your expertise and advice. Next you need to know how to write effective blog content.
Writing content for your website blog is going to take an investment of your time. Some people find writing a breeze and others can labour over every sentence. The key is writing content that your target market will find value in. If you think it would be useful, write about it. Keep a list of great, or not so great, post ideas and write what you know with confidence.
Adding search engine optimisation to your blog posts
When you write a blog post, it is important to keep in mind that you need to write good content that is as search engine friendly as possible. To help with this, at Woodswork we install a very popular plugin on every site we build. Yoast keeps track of how well you have optimised your post. A simple traffic light system indicates clearly how your posts are doing. Green for ‘good’, orange for ‘ok’ and red for ‘needs improvement’. This system scores the posts SEO and readability.
How Yoast works
Yoast provides the post with a checklist of items. Once the critera for each item is met, you’ll see a green dot. It is relatively easy to gain the dots once you understand what you are being asked to do. For example, a green dot is awarded for writing more than 300 words: the amount Yoast considers the minimum for an effective post. Other schools of thought recommend 500 and others 1000+. 300 words is fairly short and you’ll get there surprisingly quickly when you write about what you know. The scoring system runs in real time so you can see exactly how you are progressing as you type.
Take the plunge and start a business blog
It’s easy to see why Yoast is the #1 SEO tool and over 7,000,000 sites use Yoast as a tool to help write better content that is both SEO and customer friendly. Taking the plunge to get your business some extra exposure will be worth the effort and there may even be some side benefits. Many people who consistently write blogs claim that they have become better at writing, more articulate and better communicators in general. So, knowing how to write better blog content may even spill into other aspects of your business. Win win!
Give it a try and remember…
- Search engines love blogs, they help direct traffic to your website, and you can add links to other pages creating even more search engine interest.
- You can get past the blogging block.
- Call you blog whatever you like Tips, News, Recipes etc.
- Keep a list of blog topics, this helps you have a quicker starting point.
- Write content that is relevant to your market and your business.
- Write with confidence about what you know. You are the expert at what you do, and you know what your customers’ pain points are and how to solve their problems.
- Share your expertise and increase your credibility by showing your customers that you have a massive knowledge bank.
- Provide a platform for community engagement and invite your customers to give feedback; you will learn and so will they.
- Use a tool like Yoast to help you prepare your posts for SEO.
Writing a blog for your business is time well spent, but if you don’t have the time or would just rather not, we can help.
Get in touch with us and ask about our blogging services. We can provide a blog a month, or fortnight, to help increase the traffic flow to your website.